Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The One for Safety Week


My first post for safety week is all about: COSTUME SAFETY!

It is very important that you first choose a costume that YOU like.

It's also very important that your two-leggers don't leave you unattended. Do you see ghostly Cali in that picture? She had a very hard time seeing out of those tiny holes! And devilish Phoenix? There were all kinds of strings she could get tangled in as she walked! And superhero me? Well, without mom there to supervise me, I could have flown away!!--- Oh, wait. Mom just said it was only make believe. But you get the idea!

It's also important that our two-leggers make sure we don't seem scared in our festive costumes. Remember the PAWm dress incident?

I was very much brave! If you look behind me, mom KNEW my sisters would be a little nervous in such an elaborate princess dress. And rightly so! I was TRAPPED in it!! Mom had to very careful ease me out of the dress bit by bit! It was as if I was sewn into it like Marilyn Monroe! A less brave, trusting pup might have been too nervous for such a precise maneuver and got herself even more trapped! Maybe the moral of this story is less about our two-leggers making sure we're not skeered in our costumes and more about getting us the right size. BOL!

Please remember these notes from the ASPCA:
  • Dress-up can be a big mess-up for some pets. Please don't put your dog or cat in a costume UNLESS you know he or she loves it (yup, a few pets are real hams!). For pets who prefer their “birthday suits,” however, wearing a costume may cause undue stress.
  • If you do dress up your pet, make sure the costume isn't annoying or unsafe. It should not constrict the animal's movement or hearing, or impede his ability to breathe, bark or meow. Also, be sure to try on costumes before the big night. If your pet seems distressed, allergic or shows abnormal behavior, consider letting him go au naturale or donning a festive bandana.
  • Take a closer look at your pet’s costume and make sure it does not have small, dangling or easily chewed-off pieces that he could choke on. Also, ill-fitting outfits can get twisted on external objects or your pet, leading to injury.
Tune in tomorrow for tips on trick-or-treating and on Thursday for tips on what to expect if you decide to stay home and hand out the treats instead! (And I have a super special post on Friendly Friday... my bestest boy Sarge sent me a PAWSOME pressie!)

Don't forget to check out the other Safety Week events!

Deputy Bert has a Search & Rescue post up every day!
Clerk Mona has a slideshow up on 10-1-11 & poison plant safety on 10-2-11!
Road Dogs have transport options on 9-14-11(limos), 9-22-11 (buses) and 10-1-11 (cats)!
Chief Investigator Pip posted on identity theft on 10-3-11!
Fire Chief Bucky posted his fire equipment on 10-1-11 & the PARADE is 10-7-11!
Nurse Maggie Mae posted about first aid kits on 10-1-11!
My Bestest Boy Sarge posted traffic safety on 10-1-11 & 10-3-11 and has one more set for 10-5-11!

9 comments:

  1. OH NO.... Sarge is gonna be FAINTING... all over again when he sees you in your BEAUTIFUL PAWm Dress. I'm gonna be seein him this weekend.. and now THAT is all he's gonna be barkin about...
    "did you see MY PRINCESS ZONA.. in her PAWm gown? Did ya Did ya Did ya... Huh.. Did ya?" OUCH.. my ears will never be the same..
    BUTT you did give some WONDERFUL costume safety info here girrrrl. You gotta make sure that your peeps Keep that ImPAWtant stuffs in mind when they decide to dress you up fur Tricks fur TREATS night, fur sure!!
    PEE S They also need to make sure that we can POTTY with our costumes on... and not potty ON them instead. RIGHT???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless. Forget the safety tips, you look beautiful
    Benny (& Lily)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zona Girl!!
    Wow, I love your dress so much! I have that pix as part of my screen saver on Mr Dell. Great post on costume safety! Very good tips for everyone. You three will get tons of treats by going out in those outfits!! BOL I can't wait to see the rest of your posts.
    Grr and a Devoted Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zona
    Thank you fow those pawfect safety tips wif costoomes
    You make it look vewy easey weven thought you wewe wactically sewn into youw pwincess dwess..I had no idea, all I saw was a bootiful giwl
    I think you awe most bwave
    smoochie kisses
    ASTA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this was a super terrific postie, Zona! Very great tips about playing dress-up. I don't mind costumes so much but Brudder Ranger just stands there like a statue until someone takes him out of it. Heehee!

    Wiggles & Wags,
    mayzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We gots a whole dresser drawer of doggie clothes butt mostly for da odder dogs......who are shaped like sometin' better den a...tube steak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zona, you look so beautiful in your pawm dress. Great safety post. We don't think there will be any costumes here this year. Mom says it is too hard to plan for four of us when she seems to have no time any more. But we'll see what we can conjure up.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such IMPORTANT advice. I usually enjoy costumes and clothes, but last year I didn't like my lion costume much and made a big stink. Fortunately, my mom listened to me and got me out of it. Costumes should be fun for the peeps AND the dogs.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zona - This is a pawsome post with lots of great tips. Most of us don't really like the dressing up and now we won't feel so bad about going au naturale. If anybody asks why we don't wear a costume, we're just gonna Zona says it's okay if we don't wanna! We do love you in your pink pawm dress, however, and we've been noticing it on Sarge's blog sidebar (at the TOP!).

    Cheers!

    The Road Dogs

    ReplyDelete

Speak!

Related Posts with Thumbnails