Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The One for Safety Week - Part 2


Halloween is a super fun time for mini-two-leggers! For one thing, they often come home with LOTS of candy!! And many two-leggers keep bowls of candy on hand for mini-two-leggers that come to visit. It's especially important that we dogs and cats remember that most two-legger candy is not safe for us to consume, especially chocolate. Make sure you stick to the treats your two-legger gives you that are four-legger safe!!
And I should also mention that we should be careful not to over do it with the noms! Did I ever tell you about the time I had to go to the emergency vet?

When I was just a wee pup, I was crated when left unsupervised. And rightly so! You see, one afternoon, papa was getting ready for a work trip and noticing this, I settled down in my crate. Since I was such a good, quiet girl, he forgot to close the crate door. Well, now free to explore and being the brainy one, I knew that I could slip through the banister (since the baby gate was closed), hop to the step and trot on downstairs to where mom keeps the food. I :: ahem :: overindulged. I then dragged myself back up the stairs and squeezed my swollen belly through the railing as mom came home from work. She soon discovered my bulging, painful stomach and panicked! (Side note: All turned out well after a night at the hospital. And mom puppy-proofed her food storage system since she realized the baby gate is not sufficient with me around the house!)

So, from personal experience, make sure you don't eat too much this Halloween!!

Here is the advice from the ASPCA:
  • No tricks, no treats: That bowl of candy is for trick-or-treaters, not for Scruffy and Fluffy. Chocolate in all forms—especially dark or baking chocolate—can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also cause problems. If you do suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Tune in tomorrow for tips on what to expect if you decide to stay home and hand out the treats instead! Yesterday's post was all about costume safety. (And I have a super special post on Friendly Friday... my bestest boy Sarge sent me a PAWSOME pressie!)

Don't forget to check out the other Safety Week events!

Deputy Bert has a Search & Rescue post up every day!
Clerk Mona has a slideshow up on 10-1-11 & poison plant safety on 10-2-11!
Road Dogs have transport options on 9-14-11(limos), 9-22-11 (buses) and 10-1-11 (cats)!
Chief Investigator Pip posted on identity theft on 10-3-11!
Fire Chief Bucky posted his fire equipment on 10-1-11 & the PARADE is 10-7-11!
Nurse Maggie Mae posted about first aid kits on 10-1-11!
My Bestest Boy Sarge posted traffic safety on 10-1-11 & 10-3-11 and has one more set for 10-5-11!

9 comments:

  1. Excellent advice, Zona! And too much of a good thing isn't always good, eh?
    Can't wait to see what your boy, Sarge, sent you :)

    The Road Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zona Girl!
    Wow, great info this time too! Much as I love tons of good yummers, this is good advice. I sure am glad your tummy was okay after that buffet! BOL I'm looking forward to your other posts...especially your pressie!!
    Grr and Smitten Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good safety advice. Best thing...the pups should hide because a closed door in another room if the door will be opening a lot.

    And, years ago Mom learned a lesson with her weenie dog before us. He always seemed to find where the chocolate was hidden. He spent 3 Christmas Eve's in a row at the emergency clinic getting his stomach pumped. Mom no longer allows any chocolate in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice. But do we have to dress up?
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gave some GRRRRREAT advice here girrrrl.
    Sorry that you got the sickie from eatin tooo much stuffs. That Happens. Best to keep stuffs UP where WE can't ... help ourselves.

    Can't wait to see and hear Tomorrow's Post.
    PeeS... I'm gonna be seein Sarge.. in the FURS tomorrow!!! I'm just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zona,

    Good advice my furiend! :)

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey again Zona Girl!
    Wow, poor Deputy Bert is having Blogger troubles and can't seem to comment for you. He asked me to be to tell you he really liked your costume post...but he's only going to wear his badge! BOL BOL BOL
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent advice! I don't usually have any kids stop by to trick or treat, not sure why. But that's good because then I don't have to buy any candy and worry about the boys getting into it before the kids come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good advice, Zona. Thanks for helping to keep us all safe.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete

Speak!

Related Posts with Thumbnails