Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The One with the Broody Hen

Blog business first... does anyone use Blogger with Chrome? OMG - it's giving me more trouble than a squirrel's tail! I switched back to Flock halfway through and had no trouble.... soo... I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or just the browser.

Anyhow.... before explaining today's title, I should first relay a message from Wally & Stella. I told them how so many of you asked about them in the cold weather. They were surprised at the attention they were getting! I'm happy to report that they are doing just fine! (Okay. I admit... these are old pictures but I PROMISE, they're doing great!)

Cali, aka: Momma Bear, visits them every day...

Okay... so this is a REALLY old picture!!!
Cali doesn't go in their pen these days.

I think she mostly loves them because they feed her.


Yep. They take food out of their bowl and move over to drop it near the fence where she can reach it. Cali then moves
(easily) any bricks and rocks mom has put there to discourage her out of the way so she can stick her tongue through to get the tasty treats. It's no wonder she loves them!

They never feed me.

When it's VERY cold at night, the two-leggers close the door to their house to keep them warm.

Otherwise, they can go in and out as they please.

The snow doesn't seem to bother them but they're not crazy about wind! (Just Princess Phoenix!)

In other poultry news, we have a broody hen. It's the chicken version of our Momma Bear. She's taken to sitting on the eggs for HOURS. She tucks the eggs up under her wings and settles in "nice and tight."

Papa has to physically move her off to collect the eggs and make her go get something to eat and drink. Whew! Does she get mad!! Imagine trying to take beer and Cheetos away from Puddles!

17 comments:

  1. Awww, Wally and Stella are so sweet to share their food with Cali. Thanks for the update on them - looks like your family does a great job of keeping them warm. That silly hen must be wanting to make some little chicks for Easter.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely relationship wally, stella and Cali share!
    We believe you, Zona. They must be happy and healthy with all the loving care they get at a lovely home.

    and hey! That broody hen might just want to keep the eggs warm because it is so cold outside!!!

    wags, Bud, Gin n Shadow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that's so sweet that they feed Cali. Now I wish we had ducks more than ever before! I'm glad they're doing okay with all the cold weather. But I kinda figured they would.

    That's a nice chicken. I'm always amazed when I see them with their feathers on and not nekkid in a frying pan. And whoo boy! I can't even imagine trying to gets beer and cheetos away from Puddles. Just the thought of that is pretty skeery. Is your dad skeered when he goes to get the eggs?

    Wiggles & Wags,
    mayzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love ducks...Do you think they'd eat the stink-bugs? ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zona
    Thank you fow that update. I don't think I would like to twy to take eggs fwom that bwoody hen, hehehe if she's anything Like Puddles wif hew cheetos and beew..it would not be a pwetty pictoowe.
    So glad those genewous duckies awe comfy and not cold, but they should give you tweats too
    smoochie kisses
    ASTA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anythingy about that Chrome thingy... butt after this posty... I'm thinkin
    FLOCK is the choice fur you... esp. since Chrome seems... foul!!! BIRD JOKES!!!
    This was a grrrreat update!! Glad Wally and Stella are doing OK... EGGS.. you get fresh from the nest EGGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we had ducks, we raised Mallards, we would snowblow a path to the pond for them, then chop a hole in the ice. Those crazy birds couldn't wait to jump into the icy water. Then we'd go back to the house to warm up by the fire with a hot cup of coffee and watch the ducks splashing around in the ice water.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh if dat chook gets as mad as I fink Puddles woulds if ins yu tooks her beer & cheetos away dat sure be a cross chook indeeds.
    Luv
    Richie
    xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're so very glad to see Wally and Stella doing so well. Well, not see exactly, but we're taking your woof for it, of course. And you got your own egg maker? We both like eggs a lot. I think we should get one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wally and Stella look awfully happy! Are your mom and dad going to leave any eggs for the broody hen to hatch?

    Have you tried using Firefox? We haven't tried Chrome, but Firefox is pretty good!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I go visit, will dey feed me too....HUNGRY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How funny about the khanine feeding!

    We use IE and Firefox - so we khan't help with the Chrome khwestion -

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know Wally and Stella are doing well.
    Cold weather is not funny!
    I can imagine the hen being angry when her eggs are taken away! Oh-oh!
    Take care
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear the duckies are doing well. What a nice house, they have!

    Your pal, Pip

    P.S.: I wouldn't mess with that hen - she looks MAD!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WHat cute critters you have at your place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd wondered how Wally and Stella were doing so thanks for the update. Kinda rude of them to give treats to Cali but not you!

    ReplyDelete

Speak!

Related Posts with Thumbnails