Saturday, October 30, 2010

The One where the Monkey Gets Away

It's Saturday and we're getting a slow start. Papa took the Airstream yesterday and left us behind. He even left MOM behind! Can you believe that? Mom keeps saying it's because he had back to back shifts at work or something but I'm not convinced. The good news is he told me he'll be home this afternoon and then off for two days! Just in time for our Howl-o-ween festivities tomorrow.

So this morning we all cuddled in bed and listened to General have a crowing contest with the Crazy Cat Lady's roosters. He's not loud enough to wake us up (the cold air did that) but if it's quiet we can hear him crowing. I'm sure a certain neighbor isn't thrilled with us but what's one more rooster in our rural neighborhood, right? It's not like we're partying on the roof every day.

Sometimes we move it to the backyard.

Well, Phoenix is threatening to take over the blog to tattle on me so I guess I should tell you myself so you hear the truth. I got in trouble today. The blog title is reused because this happened once before AND it's an actual Friends title, which I haven't been able to work into a blog lately. I should mention that I NEVER do this when papa is home.

Remember how I said we got a slow start? Well, it was really cold this morning and mom didn't turn the heat on last night so she didn't want to get out of bed. I don't mind a good snuggle on a cold morning but after awhile I want to play and go see my feathered friends. So I may have been a little hyper. After about 87 minutes, I managed to pull her out of bed and she shuffled to the hallway to turn the heat on and then let me outside to do my business.

Scruffy may or may not have been visiting this morning. And I may or may not have followed him on his morning adventures through the neighborhood. I will say that after about 10 minutes, mom called for me and I might have ignored been too far away to hear her. Her voice doesn't carry very well (she practically whispers my name if you ask me) so she'll blow a whistle and I'll come running from the top of the hill in our yard. Err... usually. She hesitantly blew the whistle probably making neighbors even more angry with us and I still "didn't hear" her. Remembering that I was hyper she started to get nervous having not seen me for all of 12 minutes.

Knowing that I was wandering around during deer season with some gun shots in the distance, mom figured I might have been getting nervous. (I don't like gun fire ever since the fireworks scared me this summer.) Not to mention I'm not supposed to leave the yard EVER let alone when hunters might confuse me for a deer!


Is she crazy?! Seriously. Do I, Zona...

... look anything like Miss Deer??

So mom got in papa's car and drove down our little road and spotted me just as I spotted her a few houses away. Oooo.. I was kinda nervous at first. I knew I was not supposed to be there and mom looked like a hobo in her miss matched PJs, orange shoes and bright pink fleece. I was a bit embarrassed to get in the car with her.

Needless to say, papa will have another chore added to his list. It's time to put up a gate for the driveway. We have next to no traffic on our road but every time I sneak down the drive way, she freaks out. If I'm away for even 2 minutes she starts worrying about cars, bears, poisoned meat, getting disoriented and being to scared to ask two-leggers for help... you name it. 99% of the time I'm not even out of the yard when she thinks I am. She says she worries enough as it is so.....

Looks like the party is over, Scruffy. I can no longer sneak out with you and pretend I'm a real country dog who gets to wander the neighborhood. Well, at least until I learn how to open the to be purchased gate.

I hope everyone will still be my furiend even though I was naughty today. Can I blame it on the Kool-Aid?

21 comments:

  1. Hey Zona Girl!
    Wow, got yourself into trouble, huh? Happens to me all the time. I look at it as part of my job to keep Mom & Dad thinking and on their toes. It's part of everyone's training. I'm sure your Mom was worried that you might get shot by some hung-over, near-sighted, rookie hunter. I'm very, very glad that you are back home safe and sound, even if you are in the dog house now. They'll get over it, trust me. I've been in trouble more than I've been outa trouble. What's with your Mom's outfit? Maybe she was just feeling colorful as she ran out the door to look for you. Trouble or not, you're still my bestest girl. Love that pix of you, you're a beauty!

    By the way, watch your mailbox!
    Grr and an Affectionate Woof,
    Sarge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to warn you about the kool-aid, didn't I?????????

    Nice party pic from the roof... so that's what she does on the weekends. No surprise there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHMYDOG!
    Zona you had us totally on the edge of our seat as we read the post...!
    U have us freaked out still worrying about cars, bears, poisoned meat!!!

    Please please PROMISE us u won't EVER venture out alone again.
    we agree, you look NOWHERE near a deer, even not in colour or shape of ears or anything, but you never can tell what those hunters are up to.

    Phew!
    Just go have a nice safe Halloween Pawty OKIE? Not on the roof, please, but nice and warm inside:)we don't want those neighbours screamin at u on halloween!

    wags, Bud n Gin

    ReplyDelete
  4. OoH poor Zona,

    My mom is still laughing over the mental picture she has of your mom is her mismatched pj's, orange shoes and bright pink fleece. I guess I have made my mom a bit worried doing the same type of thing you did causing her to go outside looking like your mom. :) We has woods by our house and I have deer color furs so.....

    Howl-O-Ween Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Zona, that put the mockers on it putting a gate up, LOL!! thinking of your mom dressed like that,
    Is that realy your dad and you on that roof, I'm very impressed, that's just one step to far for me!!
    See Yea George xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well now... I guess that I am kinda Color Blind after reading this. Whew.
    OK>>> On the ROOF... On A Couch... With Beers... and PUDDLES... (havin your dad there does NOT count as chaperoning) I am SURE that SHE also gave you some of her infamous KooK-Aid. No wonder you.. accidently left the yard. Your're all addlepated from its effects. Poor girrrrrl. Butt you should know better by now.. SHE is NOT to be trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zona, do you know how much we worry when you guys take off to go exploring? Bad things can happen to doggies on the loose. Try to stay around the yard and keep your Mom's blood pressure down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BOL... no that guy is someone Puddles and I met around the time of her roast. It was amazing how he could get up on the roof with that broken leg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Zona! I was all sorts of nervous reading your post even though I KNEW you had most obviously made it back home. I'm glad you didn't wander too far (I worry sometimes that I'll start sniffing something and then before you know it, I'll be far away from my pack). But I AM sorry that you had to ride in the car with your mom and her mismatched pjs. Moms can be SOOOO embarrassing sometimes.

    Wiggles & Wags,
    mayzie

    PeeS. I have learned that it's best to blame EVERYTHING on the kool-aid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zona, you have 4 legs and that means you look enough like a deer! I'm glad you are safe--I know how your Mom feels when its realized that our pups have gone off on an adventure--We totally forget that others might see us!

    Enjoy your weekend and stay close to home, it's Halloween ya know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your post Zoe! I think Chloe and Cecil want to blog but I do not know if they are ready for that! Now you be a good girl and do not scare your Mom anymore. It is very hard on us mom's when we do not know where are kids are and that makes us extremely nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have woo and Morgan been hanging out together?

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra and The Golden Khousins

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that would freak my Moms and my Dad out a lot. But then it's been a long, long time since doggies have been able to run around free here. Maybe you could get an orange neon vest so hunters would never mistake you for a deer?

    lotsa licks, Lola

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! BTW, I wear an orange vest so people don't think I am a bear. I look like the ones around here they say....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bwaaa ha ha! I was going to shout "Don't drink the Kool Aid with Puddles on the roof!" but I see it's too late! I am sorry you got in trouble.

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're lucky your mama didn't ground you for 87 years, Zona! Yeah, I'd go with the Puddles kool-aide thing for sure as an "excuse." I mean as a "reason" for your meanderings, not an excuse!

    I've gone out dressed in questionable outfits looking for my boys before too. The last time they got loose, I wasn't even dressed yet so I just ran inside and threw on some clothes really quick because it was still too chilly to run around in a nightgown. Not my finest moment in fashion but I didn't care, all that mattered was that I found my chi's and I did.

    Math, science, history; Unraveling the mystery; It all started with a big BANG! I thought of you too when Penny wasn't on BBT!

    I've always wondered what that white screen with black lettering says at the end just before the final credits roll. Since I DVR every episode now, I paused it for a better look and was disappointed. I don't know what I was expecting but it was just a bunch of rambling sentences that didn't really make sense. I'm gonna try it again next week and see if says the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You do look a little like a deer! Glad you made it home OK. I was laughing about your mom in her orange shoes and pink fleece. Sounds like my mom in the morning.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  18. No No No, Zona - please don't do that again - you had us all so nervous reading your post. Hope you still get to enjoy lots of Halloween treats.

    Happy Howloween.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  19. BOL sure sounds like all moms are alike..
    Benny & Lily
    Pee S. Hide in the airstream next time to make sure your Paw is really not camping without you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seems like a crazy time!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  21. You do look a little deer coloured Zona and you have such a cute nose like a deer and are more pretty than a deer so the hunters could make a mistake. Your Momma is right to worry about you, it is only because we love you that us Moms n Dads have rules and we worry. Your Mom sounds like me, I have been seen in my street at 2am walking Richie in my Pj's because he has decided that 2am is a really good time for a walk.
    The things you all puts us through but we don't miind because we love you. Now be careful sweetie
    Love
    Momma Tea
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Speak!

Related Posts with Thumbnails