Sunday, June 21, 2009

The One Where We Thank Dads

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I am blessed to have three two-leggers to honor on Father's Day. First I have Papa Michael and Papa Rodger.

As you know, I often quote Mark Twain on special occasions. This is no exception.


In Old Times on the Mississippi, Mr. Twain wrote, "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

Now, I don't think my two-leggers agree wholeheartedly with this beginning of this statement but they do relate to suddenly realizing how wise their fathers are about many things. I think what's amusing about Twain's comment is that most two-leggers do come to realize how much their fathers have taught them. I know my two-leggers are grateful for their fathers' guidance and love.


I, too, am grateful for their affection. Not to mention, the many pizza crusts that often make their way from the desert to the country.

I also want to thank my own papa. I believe we have of a psychic connection of sorts! When I was just a wee pup, I was crated when left unsupervised. And rightly so! You see, one afternoon, papa was getting ready for work and noticing this, I settled down in my crate. Since I was such a good, quiet girl, he forgot to close the crate door. Well, now free to explore and being the brainy one, I knew that I could slip through the banister, hop to the step and trot on downstairs to where mom keeps the food. I :: ahem :: overindulged. I then dragged myself back up the stairs and squeezed my swollen belly through the railing as mom came home from work. She soon discovered my bulging, painful stomach and panicked! As she was getting her keys to take me to the emergency hospital, papa called from the plane to "check in" because he had a funny feeling. Not once before or since has he felt a need to call from the air. I stand firm it's because of our special connection! (Side note: All turned out well after a night at the hospital. And mom puppy-proofed her food storage system since she realized the baby gate is not sufficient with me around the house!)

Because of this special bond with papa and so many reasons, I sure love my papa! My sisters and I are very lucky dogs!


I'll close with this family riddle of sorts, which I found on the internet. I know at least one of these dads will appreciate it!

Family Loop


Many, many years ago
When I was twenty three,
I got married to a widow,
Pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown-up daughter
With flowing hair of red.
My father fell in love with her,
And soon the two were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law
And changed my very life.
Now my daughter was my mother,
For she was my father's wife.

To complicate the matters worse,
Although it brought me joy,
I soon became the father
Of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became
A brother-in-law to dad.
And so became my uncle,
Though it made me very sad.

For if he was my uncle,
Then that also made him brother
To the widow's grown-up-daughter
Who, of course, was my step-mother.

Father's wife then had a son,
Who kept them on the run.
And he became my grandson,
For he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother
And it makes me blue.
Because, although she is my wife,
She's my grandma too.

If my wife is my grandmother,
Then I am her grandchild.
And every time I think of it,
It simply drives me wild.

For now I have become
The strangest case you ever saw.
As the husband of my grandmother,
I am my own grandpa!


Author Unknown




0 comments:

Woofs!

Speak!

Related Posts with Thumbnails